Monday, April 06, 2009

Myung began his college life in East Lansing many years ago. He still has fond memories of bonding with his dorm floormates over Counter-Strike, awkward-yet-wonderful Christian group meetings, and possibly something related to higher education. He ended up transferring to Trinity, where he was closer to home and to Bethel, but his true allegiance was never in doubt. He loved Tom Izzo, he bled green, and he never stopped cheering for the Spartans.

Last year, Myung started telling me about the University of Pittsburgh basketball team - DeJuan Blair's penchant for collecting offensive rebounds and the persuasiveness of Sam Young's shot fake. He cheered for them all throughout the season and into the NCAA Tournament, where fate led him to a decision. The Panthers were scheduled to play Michigan State in the second round, and Myung had to make a choice. Does he go with his semi-alma mater or his favorite team of the moment? He chose to root for Pittsburgh.

I yelled at him for his lack of loyalty. I yelled at him some more when MSU won. "You can't cheer for Michigan State anymore," I told him, "You betrayed them."

This year, both Pitt and MSU had very good seasons, although Pitt's was a bit more impressive and earned them a #1 seed for the NCAA Tournament, while MSU settled for a #2 seed.

Before the tournament began Myung IMed me and told me that he had finished filling out his brackets. His final game had Pitt beating MSU for the championship.

I IMed him back about fifteen minutes later and told him that I, too, had finished filling out my brackets. For the sake of all the unjustly scorned of the world, my final game had MSU beating Pitt.

As it turned out, Pitt didn't even make the Final Four, losing in the Regional Final to Villanova. Michigan State, on the other hand, upset two #1 seeds on their way to the championship game. The press is all in a tizzy about the psychological effect that MSU's run may have on the downtrodden state of Michigan, especially with the last games being contested in Detroit. The oddsmakers have made MSU an underdog to mighty North Carolina, which easily won a preview contest earlier in the season at the same venue. The last time I cheered for a team in the final against UNC, I was left so unsatisfied. But this time, I hope it will be different. Play hard, you Spartans, and win back hope for the hopeless, win back redemption for the beaten, and win back your Gomer.

Go State.

No comments: