Tuesday, November 27, 2012

In the end, it really wasn't about loneliness.  I learned that I don't get to earn the love that is given to me, which is good because I couldn't, and even as Thanksgiving passed, I didn't realize how thankful I would be for this most difficult weekend.

Yet again, this is where this story ends.  Maybe next time, if Janna is willing, I'll try this again with some help.


Five years ago, I mentioned a place where the sidewalk ends.  I think it would be fitting to finish with another story by Shel - this one is about a mother's love.


*****


Once there was a tree...

and she loved a little boy.
And every day the boy would come
and he would gather
her leaves
and make them into
crowns and play
king of the forest.
He would climb up her trunk
and swing from her branches
and eat apples.
And they
would play
hide-and-go-seek.
And when
he was tired,
he would sleep
in her shade.
And the boy loved the tree...
very much.

And the tree was happy.


But time went by.

And the boy grew older.
And the tree was often alone.
Then one day the boy came to the tree
and the tree said, "Come, Boy, come and climb
up my trunk and swing from my branches
and eat apples and play in my shade
and be happy."
"I am too big to climb and play," said the boy.
"I want to buy things and have fun.
I want some money.
Can you give me some money?"
"I'm sorry," said the tree, "but I have no money.
I have only leaves and apples.
Take my apples, Boy, and sell them
in the city. Then you will have money
and you will be happy."
And so the boy climbed up the
tree and gathered
her apples
and carried them away.

And the tree was happy.


But the boy stayed away
for a long time...
and the tree was sad.
And then one day
the boy came back
and the tree shook with joy
and she said, "Come, Boy,
climb up my trunk
and swing from my branches
and be happy."
"I am too busy to climb trees,"
said the boy.
"I want a house to keep me warm,"
he said.
"I want a wife and I want children,
and so I need a house.
Can you give me a house?"
"I have no house," said the tree.
"The forest is my house,
but you may cut off my branches
and build a house.
Then you will be happy."
And so the boy cut off
her branches
and carried them away
to build his house.

And the tree was happy.


But the boy stayed away

for a long time.
And when he came back,
the tree was so happy
she could hardly speak.
"Come, Boy," she whispered,
"come and play."
"I am too old and sad to play,"
said the boy.
"I want a boat that will
take me far away
from here.
Can you give me a boat?"
"Cut down my trunk
and make a boat,"
said the tree.
"Then you can sail away...
and be happy."
And so the boy cut down her trunk
and made a boat and sailed away.

And the tree was happy...

but not really.

And after a long time

the boy came back again.
"I am sorry, Boy,"
said the tree, "but I have nothing
left to give you-
My apples are gone."
"My teeth are too weak
for apples," said the boy.
"My branches are gone,"
said the tree. "You
cannot swing on them-"
"I am too old to swing
on branches," said the boy.
"My trunk is gone," said the tree.
"You cannot climb-"
"I am too tired to climb," said the boy.
"I am sorry," sighed the tree.
"I wish that I could
give you something...
but I have nothing left. I am just
an old stump. I am sorry..."
"I don't need very much now,"
said the boy,
"just a quiet place to sit and rest.
I am very tired."
"Well," said the tree,
straightening herself up
as much as she could,
"well, an old stump is good
for sitting and resting.
Come, Boy, sit down.
Sit down and rest."

And the boy did.


And the tree was happy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy it, so it's no big deal. [url=http://www.ukdresshop.co.uk]Mother of the Bride Dresses[/url]
[url=http://www.canadagoosehommes.com]canada goose chilliwack[/url] Leather is more durable and will last longer than shoes made from synthetic materials.
You might give the first 100 people to check in on a certain day a free balloon or a horseback ride - it's up to you.. [url=http://www.salemulberryshop.co.uk]Mulberry handbags[/url] Some schools have drop-in sessions, but more than likely, you have to book an appointment. It's not that I'm not in love with the cute dresses, skirts and heels I've spent so much money on -- it's just way more important to me to be comfortable.. I also have to be careful of the heel height and style.
Endurance in such a volatile industry for a prolonged time is a hallmark by any measure.. [url=http://www.soldesgoosefr.com]canada goose pas cher[/url] A friend of mine, for instance, decided to spend a while in a rented holiday cottage to clear her mind after having some serious personal problems.
Any given site may only be showing you a small part of the overall market, which can have an impact on the results that you see. Erogenous sensation is a cortical transfer function and is not necessarily correlated to sensory thresholds. Glue-less lace front wigs are easy to apply with or without the use of adhesives, which is considerably less time-consuming. [url=http://www.promkleidde.com/]vergünstigte kleider[/url]

Anonymous said...

It really quite simple.. [url=http://www.ukdresshop.co.uk]Evening Dresses uk[/url]
[url=http://www.canadagoosehommes.com]canada goose[/url] Let them be your social media warriors, their passion is what is necessary to produce engaging content for your community..
On ths artiular beats by dre the sound quality is decent, Volume levels decent, quality decent, lk great but th sound leakage is awful. [url=http://www.salemulberryshop.co.uk]Mulberry Tote Bags[/url] Watch for jugs to begin moving against the current or dipping down in the water. Personally, the Sennheiser CX300 is probably the base level and you should be able to get this for under £20. Women shoes that are made from pure Italian leather and fashioned by highly skilled Italian craftsmen can easily fetch a price of more than $1000.
Even with a carpet, cotton. http://www.soldesgoosefr.com It is always more important to take the best position than the most money as that is what will make your career more successful.
ASE certified auto repair shops located in Sarasota, Florida 34233 have been reaping nothing but high praises from their customers in the area. Women like Jennifer Hudson, Monique, my daughter, and many other women are enriching the concept of beauty. Seuss thing collection. [url=http://www.promkleidde.com/]Chiffon Prom Kleid[/url]

Anonymous said...

Once a staple of a poor family's diet, the dish at its simplest comprises boiled marrowfat peas, and at this level, it is, as Willie Rushton once said "the world's almost only grey food". [url=http://www.ukdresshop.co.uk]Celebrity Dresses[/url]
[url=http://www.canadagoosehommes.com]canada goose chilliwack bomber[/url] It lands this summer.
A little extra time off now can make all the difference in a more settled baby later. [url=http://www.salemulberryshop.co.uk]mulberry outlet[/url SFX might get some attention as DMP handled these in a unique way. Skechers USA was forced to pay close to double that amount to settle its on FTC case related to their Shape Up shoes.. If you find them positive enough then go for it.
With improved networking systems and advance communication facilities, it has become exceptionally convenient to send personal birthday gifts for beloved one. [url=http://www.soldesgoosefr.com]Canada Goose Chilliwack Bomber[/url] Try to avoid solid colors without any print, detail, or embellishments..
There is nothing wrong with worrying about your appearance we live in a very vain soceity as it is so I can beleivethere is pressure to be muscular and have a nice complexion and have trendy clothes. Extras: Orlando wedding planners also provide you wedding related services including engagements, anniversaries, showers and more!. The phrase "look to her" suggests several things: that Desdemona needs to be watched closely, in other words; she cannot be trusted, or that Othello should notice what a deceiver looks like and lastly, if Othello looks at her he may find that she is not as fair as he thought--the opposite of fair being black. [url=http://www.promkleidde.com/]Organza Prom Kleid[/url]

Anonymous said...

Fie sub aspect financiar, fie sub aspect emoţional, efectul rupturii poate fi grav: un client mai puţin, o căsnicie distrusă, o carieră ratată etc. [url=http://www.ukdresshop.co.uk]Formal Dresses uk[/url]
http://www.canadagoosehommes.com Sensation XE is the first phone, which has been launched with Dr.
The El Lago Dorados will celebrate the conclusion of the swim season with an Awards Dinner in August prior to the start of school. [url=http://www.salemulberryshop.co.uk]Mulberry outlet shop[/url] Yes I know you can get it for nothing if you are prepared to pay more than a Sky+HD subscription per month but I rather pay for the Sky subscription. In the evening, a darker colored suit, such as charcoal, navy, or black is appropriate. There are the skilled studio headphones - the Beats Studio.
Australian Academy of Sciences, Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Sciences and the Arts, Brazilian Academy of Sciences, Royal Society of Canada, Caribbean Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, French Academy of Sciences, German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina, Indian National Science Academy, Indonesian Academy of Sciences, Royal Irish Academy, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (Italy), Academy of Sciences Malaysia, Academy Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and Royal Society (UK), just to name a very, very few. [url=http://www.soldesgoosefr.com]Canada Goose Expedition Parka[/url] All kind of discounts are available on their website.
Try interent shopping, go on eBay and type in 'scene clothing' they're are hundreds of results. Light support or wireless bras may not have any underwire but are perfect for girls with smaller breasts and offer enough support to allow you to feel free and comfortable. Also, you can grab these cars at wholesale prices through these auctions.. [url=http://www.promkleidde.com/]prom ball kleider[/url]

Anonymous said...

Where do I fit in?8. [url=http://www.ukdresshop.co.uk]Mother of the Bride Dresses[/url]
[url=http://www.canadagoosehommes.com]canada goose chilliwack bomber[/url] Fueled by the tail end of his Blueprint 3 Tour and a vast portfolio of business interests, Jay-Z barely edged second-ranked Diddy-who raked in $35 million, roughly half of that total coming from a lucrative partnership with Diageo's Ciroc vodka-but handily topped West, who earned $16 million.
Adult ShoesAdults typically require more support, either because of aging or heavier weight. [url=http://www.salemulberryshop.co.uk]Mulberry outlet shop[/url] every solo era provides all of us a brand name new empression. Unser RabattUggs Online Store sind Sie genau auf alle Arten von uggs Stiefel bezahlt undstellen Sie sicher, sie können unsere Kunden den hohen Anforderungen gerecht zu werden. Having two different sized feet is common for many people.
It is through brands that loyalty is also developed.. [url=http://www.soldesgoosefr.com]Canada Goose Trillium Parka[/url] Gold, platinum and jewel encrusted bangles are amongst the most expensive..
I have been working in vintage apparel for the last 5 years, so I have a bit experience in this industry. It is free to find the love and the lovesong on line with the completely free Korean services of dating. It will be interesting to see if the handbag craze of this past year will continue.. [url=http://www.promkleidde.com/]Chiffon Prom Kleid[/url]

Anonymous said...

He nevertheless managed to survive with land and titles intact which were inherited by his son Henry Stanley, the 4th Earl.. [url=http://www.ukdresshop.co.uk]Formal Dresses uk[/url]
[url=http://www.canadagoosehommes.com]canada goose chilliwack[/url] Measuring of close shots - If, while declaring the head, two bowls are in dispute - ie, you can't tell which is nearest to the jack just by looking at them - a tape can be used to measure the disputed shots.
Even the some good companies first give the one month training to the employer and after that offer the excellent roll package.. [url=http://www.salemulberryshop.co.uk]Mulberry Mitzy Bags[/url] Bags and shoes are indeed useful and can be regarded as the most essential accessories. You will feel as if the whole backwoods is your personal yard for 56 Euros a night (as of September 2009).. The particular specific Beast Control Speak headset cable television capabilities an interior good quality mic as well as remedy manage plus will allow for people access the tunes and also option cell phone calls with no obtaining to achieve for their budget, pack or basic safety pocket..
There is a job offering system where you can pick up extra shifts. [url=http://www.soldesgoosefr.com]Canada Goose Kensington Parka[/url] I've read a bunch of the suit articles on AskMen looking for tips and have a few ideas.
The first is called fixed, where the rate is locked for the period of the loan repayment and is thus independent of market fluctuations. I let him get by with 3 nights in the same pjs when it was cool enough to need them and he did not leak, or else he could just wear a his teeshirt from the day or no shirt and his protection (pampers) to bed. There is more than one way to share God's word, and the best bet for any Christian is to be prepared to do so in a variety of ways. [url=http://www.promkleidde.com/]kleider abendkleider[/url]