Tuesday, November 01, 2011

I remember reading an excerpt from Moneyball years ago about Jeremy Brown and a well-hit ball. When I saw the movie yesterday it was slightly modified, but basically served the same purpose. And for a movie that was ostensibly about taking the romanticism out of baseball, it found plenty to be romantic about in life.

When I was talking to Eugene about the single life, he asked me what kind of girl I was looking for.

Me: A ... good girl.

He: There are no good girls anymore.

I agreed with him because I knew what he meant, but of course there are "good" girls around. Unfortunately my history says that I don't seem to fit well with them. And the ones that do like me aren't "good" as much as they are "crazy" or "emotional" or something else that sounds potentially tempting but just ends up being someone who thinks I can deal with her baggage. Maybe I can, but I don't particularly want to.

Apparently I haven't met anyone that I believe would make me happier than I am being alone.

One thing that I've thought about is the idea that if I do meet someone new, she won't really know about my life. I mean, I could give a quick rundown of the past dozen years post-college, but she wouldn't really understand. Is that normal? Would I pretty much close the door to all that and want to start a new life and make new memories with this person? Would I throw her to my old/current blog and tell her to get back to me when she's finished? But here I go, worrying about a problem that doesn't yet exist.

Or maybe ever? Not to be overly dramatic, but if there isn't going to be a future wife, what am I waiting for?

In the movie, the little girl sings a song for her dad and adds her own line, "You're such a loser, Dad." The original ending of the song is a little different.

I want my money back, I want my money back
I want my money back, just enjoy the show

You can keep the money, I think I'll just enjoy the show.

No comments: